Friday, October 8, 2010

Finally Fall!

The weather here in Niceville has been so, well nice lately!  Gone are the high 90's during the day; replaced by low to mid 80's with lows in the upper 40's!  It just doesn't get any nicer than that.  We have finally turned off the AC which has pretty much been running non-stop since April.  I have been able to get the kids outside without having to smother them in sunscreen and who doesn't love avoiding that battle.  I have an idea I need to copy write.  It is basically a booth you have in your home that is similar to a spray tanning booth except instead of tan it applies sunscreen.  I would pay big big bucks for that!!  If we can build a space station to orbit the earth why can't we have sunscreen that doesn't need to be re-applied?  I am the worst at re-applying.  I buy the highest SPF I can find hoping it will buy me enough time.  So far, I have been extremely lucky in that our outdoor time is limited to about 2-3 hours max.  But that will soon change I fear.  I need to get busy on that invention.

Since it is October that means PUMPKIN PATCH!  The Methodist Church here in Niceville is home to our area patch.  Since two of my children attend school at the church and we usually attend not only church but also Wednesday night suppers that means I get to go by the patch roughly 14 times a week.  I am so blessed!  Every time it comes into sight I hear "Pumpkins". E-V-E-R-Y time.   Lilly and Lucy both have field trips scheduled to visit the patch and I know we will hit it up a few times during "Family day" - can't wait.  For your viewing pleasure I have captured the kids singing about Spookly the Square Pumpkin.  I am not sure how we came to own the DVD, but it is in heavy rotation at the moment. 

We have been decorating for Halloween.  Much to Jim's chagrin, the kids love to "spooky up" the house.  He made me promise not to do anything until the month of the actual holiday.  A little game I like to play is to add a little something and not mention to see if he notices.  Keeps him on his toes (hee hee)

I have also been trying to get costumes in order.  Last year for Lilly's birthday she received a peacock costume and promptly declared that she wanted to be a peacock for next Halloween and her sister could be a flamingo.  I just laughed thinking poor Lucy, she doesn't even get a vote.  I really thought they would change their minds, but of course that hasn't happened.  Lilly's costume came pretty much complete, I have added a few accessories like a feather boa, blue and green hair and some peacock colored feathers.  Lucy's on the other hand has been a struggle.  I originally planned on using a dress from the dress up box, but quickly discarded that idea.  So I purchased a pink fairy costume and bags and bags of hot pink feathers.  I am currently sewing feathers to some tulle to make "wings".  She also has some pink hair and a boa to complete the look.  Hopefully it will look somewhat like a bird.  She is pretty psyched about the feathers and as long as she is happy I guess that is all I can hope for.  I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of explaining Halloween night.  Ben right now says he wants to be Lightening McQueen, Spider man, Thor, and Buzz Lightyear.  He currently has a construction worker outfit only.  I am putting off him to the last minute.  Poor Ben.

I'll end with another song that has also been making the rounds in our house.  Looks like we might need to switch up the music selections at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment