Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hi There - Doo Dee Doo

November started out on a slow boil.  In fact, so slow we have no pictorial record of anything that happened in the first week!  So that is saying something right there.  Of course, that can't last forever.  Unless this is your first visit to my little corner of the web, you know that if you can count on anything, it is that SOMETHING is about to happen.  All you have to do is wait for it.

So for all intents and purposes you can just assume that the first 10 days of November were blissfully uneventful in Wellonsland.  That would be a wrong assumption, but apparently I have become so jaded that I will only digitally record events that are a "6" or higher in entertainment value.  You are welcome.

First up is the Marine Corps Ball.  While historically not a very high entertainment value event, it is an event that Jim and I enjoy because we get to go to BY OURSELVES and to enjoy the company of our fellow Marine families (sans children).  So that right there is worth the price of admission.  It was a tremendously fun evening.  We were able to sit with fun people and the best part was that Jim had no official responsibilities for this ball! 
 

We did get a call from the babysitter shortly after we arrived to report that Lucy had bloodied her lip while performing some crazy antics.  She ended up being fine, but you know how those facial wounds can bleed.  This may have been the straw that broke the camel's back for the sitter -- she wasn't happy, and I'm afraid she may not return!

As you may know, Lilly's birthday is ALWAYS the same weekend as the Marine Corps Ball.  Which is, in my experience, ALWAYS Veteran's Weekend.  I know who ever is planning this event thinks it is a good idea to have the ball over the long weekend.  But it isn't.  I would far rather have that weekend to do something else!!  Like have a birthday party.  Well that isn't true, but it would sure help in the scheduling of events.  

Sunday we got up, got the kids in the car and headed up to Old Sturbridge Village.  Old Sturbridge Village is a living museum which re-creates life in rural New England during the 1790's - 1830's.  All of the buildings and activities are historically original, but several were moved out to this farm to create the "village".  I had gotten a "Flat Stanley" in the mail earlier in the month and had been all over Jamestown showing him the sights.  I was happy to see that I had put him in my purse, so we were able to show Stanley Sturbridge Village too!


Here is Flatty enjoying the view of the Newport Bridge
Lilly and Flatty in period dress
Lucy and Ben as town folk
"Benita"
In front of a church at Sturbridge Village
While the kids said they had a great time exploring all over the village, I think their favorite thing was the remnants of the snowfall in western Massachusetts.  Every time I turned around they were throwing it at each other, carrying it around. I wish I could say they didn't eat the snow, but I know they did.  I tried telling them to at least be picky about which snow they picked up.  Their immune systems must be off the charts!

Monday was a day off from school, Jim had no classes, and most importantly, it was Lilly's 8th birthday.  We decided to have her party at a local bowling alley and since there was no school, most of the girls were able to attend.


The group shot
What they looked like the rest of the time
They were a well behaved group of girls.  We bowled for about a hour, had lunch, cake did presents and then some video games.  In and out!  Perfect!!
I had found a picture of a cake on Pinterest that I had been wanting to try and originally thought I would do it for Ben's 5th birthday.  


Upon further thought I realized that it would be WAY easier to make an eight than a five so I changed my plan.


 
Not perfect by any means, but it was tasty and, most importantly, Lilly was happy with it.


After the birthday bash, we had a brief respite in order to get the house ready to host twenty guests for Thanksgiving dinner!  Jim's parents and sister, Mary Catherine would be staying with us for a few days -- for everyone else it was just a one-day event.   Of course I am not crazy enough to suggest that I was preparing a Thanksgiving dinner for twenty people BY MYSELF!  No, no, no, no, no.  Crazy - debatable, glutton for punishment - no way!  Jim couldn't understand my frustration, he said several times that all I personally was responsible for was a dessert.  Really?  Did he think that some magical elves or fairies were going to visit us after midnight and clean the house, keep it clean, pull out all the assorted platters and dishes and other items we would need for this meal?  Well, I guess he did.  That, or he didn't consider any of those things "work."

Before Thanksgiving, Lilly had a play at school. Jim's parents were able to join us for that.  She did a wonderful job and I wish I had pictures of it to share, but sadly all I had was my little rinky dink camera and the lighting in that room left MUCH to be desired!! A friend did take a few for me, but apparently my Mac doesn't want me to upload them to blogger because I have been unable to do so.  I quit.  Apple wins. 

Well I lied, here is one picture that isn't so terrible.
The big day arrives!  Jim's mom and I had been digging through the boxes in the basement to come up with what we needed to set a proper table (or two).  Jim was true to his word, I did not actually have to cook anything.  Not that I would have had time to do it.  He took care of the turkey, his sister made the stuffing and gravy.  The kids and I made some fun desserts for the kids a few days before all the craziness started.




The weather was so nice (or nice enough for middle of November in Rhode Island) that we decided the children could and should eat outside.  


They seemed to take the banishment pretty well.  Not that they were out there for very long anyway.  Before we could even turn around, they were cruising the desserts and then off to the TV room with the doors closed.  Worked out for everyone I'd say.  

We were able to pull off a group shot.  Miracle of miracles, you can see everyone! I promise this picture was not doctored up in any way, shape, or form! 


No Thanksgiving would be complete without a visit from our Turkey girl.  There is a story behind it, naturally.  I won't go into all the details, but my family just loves this old Hallmark e-card featuring this girl and I ran across a cardboard cut out of her a few years back ... so she has been gracing our celebrations ever since - much to Jim's chagrin.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, play the video.  You'll thank me later.




With Thanksgiving in the rear view mirror, we still had a week of November left before we started hearing the children clamoring for a Christmas tree and wanting to know when our "Elf on the Shelf," Kringle, would show up.  We were able to get Jim's family over to one of the mansions for a quick tour of the grounds.  We ATTEMPTED to get a Christmas card photo.  Maybe our standards are too high.  Perhaps we should lower the expectations and just be done with it.  Lord knows we have PLENTY of low expectation pictures to fill a Christmas card one hundred times over.  Looking more and more like New Years cards (again - sigh).


 One thing is for certain, Oscar is ready for winter.  He has already found several cozy spots while he waits for his humans to bring in his tree.


Finally, it is November 30th.  Kringle shows up in the morning.  Here he is with a message for the kids.  I know it isn't a direct quote, but I don't think they will get the reference.  Maybe I should have tried harder to get the ax to stay in his felt hands.  He already has the Jack Nicholson eyes down pat.  

 
  See ya next month!!






 


No comments:

Post a Comment