Monday, May 20, 2013

Spring, at last!!

When I left off last month we were enjoying an "unexpected" visit from Jim which was great, but since you can't have all good without a little bad, our refrigerator began to die a slow and painful death!  I searched in vain for a thermometer in this tiny house to verify that yes, it was indeed getting warmer, but no joy.  I couldn't even go buy one because it was Easter Sunday and all the stores on the island were closed.  I don't know if that is actually the truth, but it seemed logical at the time.  Lucy threw in her two cents and asked a most important question, "Is there an app for that"?  I searched, sadly, no there is no "app" for a refrigerator thermometer.  A missed opportunity if you ask me.  Sadly the fridge finally failed, so I borrowed two extra large coolers from a friend and we did a little "camping" in our house.  
Thankfully, it is still in the low 40's at night!







The repair guy was finally able to "fit me in" on Wednesday to troubleshoot.  I told him what was going on and my diagnosis - heater malfunction in the freezer.  After a few minutes, he agreed with me!!  Maybe I will go back to school and learn to be a small appliance repairman!! I already call myself the the Wellons Super (as in Superintendent) because for some reason I am the one who has to fix EVERYTHING! It would be a simple part replacement (good) BUT he would have to order the part (bad) and it may take as long as Monday to get here (really really bad).  Oh well, what is a few more days of living out of a cooler right? Surprise!  He was able to get the part quicker and by late Friday afternoon we were back in business.  WHEW!  Disaster averted.  

Have I mentioned how much I love Jamestown?  This town seriously rocks!!  I have zero doubt in my mind that our quality of life has been greatly enhanced by living "across the bridge."  Others can keep Newport and all that traffic, thank you very much!  The entire community has welcomed us (and all military families) with open arms!  April is Military Child Month and to celebrate, the schools asked that the children wear purple on a certain day and had an assembly to recognize all the children by giving them a medal.  Well you would have thought the medals were made of GOLD!  My children were so proud...


The week before Spring Break was "Reading Appreciation" week and the highlight was to dress as your favorite character from a book.  Lilly immediately decided she wanted to be Hermione from Harry Potter.  She had recently started reading the series at school and was super excited to dress up.  Unfortunately we did not have a white button-down or my sewing machine in order to make a tie.  So I did the next best thing.  I made a super (super) long scarf out of felt and fabric glue.  Of course it started falling apart almost immediately - oops!  I gave her a tiny stapler and told her to try stapling it back together if it got too short.  She looks pretty good!! 

Lucy had a bit harder time deciding on who she wanted to dress up as.  Last year both girls dressed up as Fancy Nancy.  It wasn't very inspired, nor did they really do a good job of selling it.  I tried to convince her to go as Pippi Longstocking, but no luck.  She knows who Pippi is because Lilly got the book for Christmas but I think the red hair was the sticking point.  Sigh.  So I tried Pinkalicious - No.  Amelia Bedelia - No.  Junie B. Jones - No.  FINALLY and I do mean FINALLY I stumbled on Cowgirl Kate and her horse Cocoa.  YES!!  Thankfully we had everything except the hat which was easily procured at Wal-Mart - score! 
Ben's pre-school class was not participating but that didn't stop him from posing with his "girls".  He can't WAIT to be in real school.  I wish he could have been in Kindergarten here in Jamestown.  I am scared of what it will be like in Miami. 

So even though it seems like we just had a week off in February, and the day before Good Friday PLUS Good Friday, the kids got ANOTHER week off.  It is no wonder we will be in school until late June.  My dilemma is what am I going to do with the kids for an entire week.  Ugh!  Usually Jim takes care of planning time off.  Of course he had some suggestions, but going skiing with 2 other families by myself with the kids just didn't sound like much fun.

Luckily for me the girls had another gymnastics meet.  They did really well!


I have a thing for daffodils.  They are my FAVORITE favorite flower because growing up when they started blooming that meant my birthday was coming soon.  That isn't the case up here.  What is a relatively short blooming season in North Carolina is extended to almost 2 full months up here!  YEAH!!  I had been trying to get a "good" photo of the kids in a patch for several weeks and I finally lucked out.  Although it is far from perfect, it is the best one out of the hundred of so attempts. 


The local Library is great at scheduling fun and educational events and we try to attend as many as we can.  Over the break there was a lecture about chickens complete with live specimens.  I was surprised at how interested the children were in the topic.  One of the main reasons I wanted to go was to see if the local paper photographer would be there taking pictures.  Lucy and Ben have both been in the paper SEVERAL times this year.  So much so my friends have been jokingly asking me if I had some "arrangement" going on.  Ha Ha Lilly has not been so lucky.  Sadly, the photographer was not there.  I tried to take some to submit on my own, but it wasn't successful.

I was going to submit this one, but was afraid they would crop out Lilly.

You won't be making the paper this week Lilly!
Up next on this week off was the Zoo!  I had been wanting cross this one off my list, so when Jim's cousin Patti suggested meeting in Providence one day it was a no-brainer!  The kids LOVE a zoo, and this one, while quite small, did not disappoint.  In fact it was just about perfect.  The day was nice and sunny, it was crowded but not unbearably so.  The cousins all get along so that was really nice to be able to have adult conversation with minimal interference from the kids!  BONUS!!  Not only does this zoo have all these fun educational activities going on (for spring break week?) they also had a rock climbing wall set up.  Of course that proved to be an irresistible draw for the kids!  They took to it like the  tree frogs that they are!  


Ben and cousins learning to "sail" on dry land!
Another cool feature of this zoo was the cool playground with lots and lots of water features.  The boys were quick to get soaking wet while the girls pretty much stayed dry.  Go figure!


Another time filler - homemade slime!
Ok, halfway through the week and no one has been injured or banished to the basement (yet)!  Good, right?
Next up was a day trip to New Bedford's Whaling Museum with our friends the Monclovas.  It was really a neat place!  In addition to having several complete whale skeletons (including a mother and her unborn calf that hit a tanker's propeller) there is also an exact replica (1/4th scale) of a whaling ship.  After touring it, we decided there was NO WAY we would go across the bay in that thing much less chase whales all the way around the world for two to three years at a time in one!!  


Ben's Pirate face!

Momma & unborn calf
As with every attraction, the best thing (according to the kids) is the gift shop!  We were able to get out of there relatively unscathed.  In fact, I was the one who was having the hard time deciding what I should buy.  So many whales!!!


Ben goofing in the gift shop!

Finally school started back!  Yeah!!  Not a day too soon.  The kids and I were coming home from Church on Sunday and happened upon a yard sale!!  Of course they had to run home and get their money!!  Lucy set her eyes on a new car while Lilly was a bit more practical and decided she had to have the Kool-Aid stand in order to increase her sales once she opened up her lemonade stand this summer.  She is investing in her future!  Ha!

After a quick phone call to Daddy, who was really no help in dissuading them, we took our purchases home.  

Sure hope this fits in the U-Haul!!!

30 minutes later - OPEN!!

She ended up making $8.50.  So almost covered the $10.00 for the stand.
Finally April is winding down.  Even with the week (really 10 days) off from school, it seems like a long one.  First full month without Jim, that might have something to do with it.  

Lucy's first grade class had a field trip and I was "lucky" to be picked as a chaperone!! I was actually happy to go since it was to Biomes, which is a private marine education facility and the largest aquarium in the state.  That last statement isn't really saying that much since Rhode Island is super tiny.  It may very well be the ONLY aquarium in the state!  But I digress, the field trip was fun and the kids love being able to see all the fish local to the area, touch some smooth dogfish and see an octopus try to open a baby food jar to get to her lunch! Lilly did this trip last year and I was unable to attend so it was nice to be a part of it.  Maybe I can get Ben up there for a morning trip so he won't be the odd man out, but maybe not.


Lilly also got to do something cool this month at school.  Her class was able to have a Skype session with Betty Birney who is the author of the ever popular Humphrey the Hamster series.  Each student was able to stand up and ask her a question.  Betty was so nice to take the time out of her day to interact with the class.  They asked some pretty good questions!  They even got a preview of the newest book!
Another opportunity to make the paper - or not!
Next month we have several visits from Daddy and also Nanny is coming for a whole week!!  We can't wait!!  She sent each of us little present.  The girls got some super cute outfits and Ben got one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment