Before we left town, our landlord called to let us know that all the windows and doors would be replaced while we were out of town. I had planned on boarding Oscar which of course he was NOT going to be happy about, but the alternative was to leave him home and risk the chance that workers would accidentally let him out. Well of course NOTHING goes as planned and instead of the workers doing the work over the holiday weekend (seriously, what kind of company would schedule that), their plan was to start on Wednesday and finish up by late Friday. Oscar got a reprieve from the boarding since we weren't leaving until Friday morning at the earliest. Little did we know, this window and door replacement pain-fest was just beginning. Somehow the workers got behind schedule, so now they were actually going to show up on Saturday to finish the work. My friend Christine (I seriously DO NOT want to think about how much my life would suck if she were not here with me) agreed to check on not only the workers but also Oscar while we were gone. I promised to make it up to her with a gift from the wine fairy!
So off we go!
We arrived in Orlando too late to do anything on Friday, so we just checked out our awesome hotel, the Wilderness Lodge. Wow! We have stayed in a few of the Disney properties and have always felt the one we were at was always the best. This time was no exception. It was nice and LARGE! The children could have easily slept in the HUGE walk in closet without even touching each other!! I can't imagine why you would need a closet that big. How long are you staying? The property had a geyser that erupted every hour as well as a pool that started out as a hot spring inside the hotel lobby! Jim truly outdid himself!
This year would be our first non-stroller visit to Disney. In years past we have had the big orange Phil-and-Ted stroller to shuffle the kids and all the water/food we bring into the park. Renting the cart thingys was not going to be an option. So with high hopes and only a backpack, bright and early the next morning we decided to head off to Hollywood studios. Jim was on a mission to get the kids to ride some more "high speed" rides, as he calls them. So he and Lilly branched off immediately to do the Tower of Terror. I took the other two over to get a fast pass for the Toy Story Ride and then we walked around scoping out the characters until we found the Star Wars Ride. We decided to go ahead and do it because there was a 3 minute wait time. It was pretty entertaining. Good thing, because we had to do it again after Jim and Lilly joined us. They also did the Aerosmith roller coaster and picked up a fast pass for me to do it again with Lilly. Jim somehow talked Lucy and Ben into doing the Tower of Terror with him. I am not sure how he managed that, but when they emerged in the gift shop all was not well!! We needed ice cream to salvage the situation.
This year would be our first non-stroller visit to Disney. In years past we have had the big orange Phil-and-Ted stroller to shuffle the kids and all the water/food we bring into the park. Renting the cart thingys was not going to be an option. So with high hopes and only a backpack, bright and early the next morning we decided to head off to Hollywood studios. Jim was on a mission to get the kids to ride some more "high speed" rides, as he calls them. So he and Lilly branched off immediately to do the Tower of Terror. I took the other two over to get a fast pass for the Toy Story Ride and then we walked around scoping out the characters until we found the Star Wars Ride. We decided to go ahead and do it because there was a 3 minute wait time. It was pretty entertaining. Good thing, because we had to do it again after Jim and Lilly joined us. They also did the Aerosmith roller coaster and picked up a fast pass for me to do it again with Lilly. Jim somehow talked Lucy and Ben into doing the Tower of Terror with him. I am not sure how he managed that, but when they emerged in the gift shop all was not well!! We needed ice cream to salvage the situation.
![]() |
| Don't know if you can see the grimaces on Ben and Lucy's face. |
We had done all the damage we could do so we hurried over to EPCOT to try and squeeze in a few "must do" favorites. Nothing scary here, except the Test Track which for some reason is not Lucy's favorite while we are waiting in line.
![]() |
| End of the day. Maybe we pushed it to far? |
Two down, two to go. We decided to do Magic Kingdom on Saturday.
Disney has redone Fantasy-land. Ariel has gotten a new "grotto", Belle has a new attraction, the Beast has a castle/restaurant (which according to our in house travel agent is actually really good) and there are upgrades to a few other rides that had not been completed. I think the biggest disappointment for me was the size of the Beast's castle. The pictures on the website made it look really cool and big. Ahhh, not so much. It is really quite small. Like really small. I was expecting a castle, like Cinderella's castle were you can walk through it, dine in it, you know the works. It is more like an optical illusion. It is small because it is far away, but you can't get closer. The restaurant is underneath it. The only way I can describe it is like a cake topper. It is cool, but not what I was expecting.
Of course the girls wanted to do the Little Mermaid ride. It is the same ride technically as the one at Hollywood studios, but they have beefed it up quite a bit. We rode it twice, no waiting. Next we skipped over to Belle's story telling. Jim was rolling his eyes at this one, but it turned out to be the highlight of the kids' day. The children in the group all get to have parts in a "play" for Belle. Jim got tagged to be a knight, Lilly and Ben were dishes and Lucy got picked to be the Beast! Talk about type casting!! Ha Ha Ha one thing we learned from this experience - take your hat off when you are inside. All our pictures looked like this!
![]() |
| Lucy as the Beast |
![]() |
| Sir Daddy |
![]() |
| Dish 1 and Dish 2 |
Another "new" feature was Rapunzel's tower. See how it looks like you should be able to get to it? Well you can't. That is it. I am assuming there will have something else to tie Rapunzel to this location at a future date. Right now it is smashed up against the Haunted Mansion. Just a photo opportunity, so of course I took one!
![]() |
| Col Jack Sparrow? |
![]() |
| The dreaded Tea cups! |
![]() |
| We survived Space Mountain! |
![]() |
| MOVE IT LILLY! |
![]() |
| A little Disney Labor Day Love! |
We hung some lizards from our ears while eating a Popsicle.
Made many (many many) trips to the Library.
Quick question, does it make sense for a drive-through book drop to be THIS FAR AWAY FROM THE CURB?!! Add to this the fact that it is totally uncovered without so much of a gutter to keep you or the books from getting wet while you are depositing them in the rain. Keep in mind that during the summer it pretty much rains EVERY DAY!!!!!! WHY? WHY? WHY?
Lucy has apparently inherited my hair, along with
![]() |
| She LOVES it! |
In our continued effort to stop moving boxes and boxes of stuff we don't ever get to use (much less unpack), Jim decided to sacrifice a weekend to drive up to Swansboro and transfer said boxes to a more "permanent" storage solution. That is just a fancy way of saying it is going to the third floor of the marina to die. When we moved into the current house we had to get not one but two storage units to store the over-flow junk. We needed to whittle this down to only one storage unit but that meant some things HAD TO GO! Every time I went to the units I would get in a bad mood. I mean just look at this!
I can't get to ANYTHING by myself and if we both (read all 5 of us) have to go every time that is neither fun or helpful. So now I have a storage unit that doesn't make me lose my mind when I visit it - yeah me!
We have been taking trips to various beaches and state parks around Miami trying to figure out the places we like best. I must say so far the over all favorite has been South Beach.
![]() |
| Newest beach toy is a hit |
September had a few bumps and bruises too. This is what happens when you are jacking around at our friends' pool and you come too close to the side. Poor Ben.
Finally, I leave you with an experiment. I know it is WAY past the time when I should be planing moon flowers, but I can't help myself. I figure I still have months before we are in any real danger of frost - HA frost! So I planted the seeds on Sept. 1st. This picture was taken on Sept 29th. WOW! I am both happy and now scared. This vine may take over my house!




























No comments:
Post a Comment