Well, we made it through an entire month here on the face of the sun. Man, it is HOT! I can't wait for it to cool off. Yeah, yeah, it is HOT, big deal, get on with it... Fine, I can take a hint. We had a long weekend the weekend before Labor day (or as we took to calling it "fake Labor Day") and we high-tailed it to the beach! Jim tried to pressure persuade me to go to Phoenix for the long weekend. That seemed like jumping from the frying pan into the fire, so I said NO!! San Diego it is! We definitely made the right choice. The weather was perfect!! The kids got to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time (but definitely not the last) and they reported it was COLD! That did not seem to deter them from getting in it however. Not me, I would rather watch from the Hotel Del Coronado with an ice cold beverage Thank you very much.

We also had a really nice dinner at Roy's in Downtown San Diego, as well as an incredible breakfast at Richard Walker's Pancake House. Jim said they had the best waffles and crepes in town and he was not kidding! All in all it was the perfect 24 hours and I look forward to going back ... A LOT!
A strange thing happened when we got back from San Diego -- it actually rained in Yuma. And I don't mean just a drizzle. I was used to getting deluges in South Florida, but I thought that was all behind me. Maybe not. I guess they're not kidding out here when they say this is the "monsoon season." The weirdest thing was these "puddles" stuck around for 3 days! I expected they would evaporate overnight in the 115 degree heat!
The next weekend it was all about flag football. Ben had joined a team and after a few practices, Lucy decided she too wanted to play. So luckily Jim was able to sign her up for Ben's team and I am sure their coach is glad. First game out, she was the leading tackler for her team! She also scored a touchdown!
Not to be outdone, Ben had a stellar game, but was unable to convert. Next time, Ben. Next time.
Their reluctance was shortlived when they discovered the race was preceded by a doughnut eating contest! How they got picked to participate out of the 50 other children that were there, I will never know but somehow they finagled their way up there. The "catch" to the doughnut-eating contest was NO HANDS! They were up to the challenge!
Suprise! Ben won!
Not to be outdone, Ben had a stellar game, but was unable to convert. Next time, Ben. Next time.
The kids have finally started to make some friends and play dates have ensued. On this particular day Lilly scored a sleep over.
Ben and Lucy, on the other hand won big at the Bowling Alley/Game room with their overnight guest. When Lilly found out about the events of the evening, she was highly put out! Seems her evening of PG-13 movies and makeup can't hold a candle to TICKETS!
So WTI has started and for those of you who don't know what that means, be thankful. It means that Jim is a ghost. We are lucky if we see him for an hour or two in the morning and maybe an hour at night. 6 days a week! Ugh. Oh well, can't dwell on it. Feel fortunate, because with Jim working all the time, that means we are doing less and less. Which really isn't "true", it is just I am doing it without him. Sigh.
I did take the kids up the street for a Fun Run at the end of the month. At first they weren't exactly excited about it.
Ben and Lucy, on the other hand won big at the Bowling Alley/Game room with their overnight guest. When Lilly found out about the events of the evening, she was highly put out! Seems her evening of PG-13 movies and makeup can't hold a candle to TICKETS!
One thing we really needed once we bought this house was an anchoring piece in our living room. After a few weeks of discussion we decided to pull the trigger and order it. It is MASSIVE! The guys who installed it, said it could "easily" be moved, but I don't think that is going to happen. It weighs a TON. It also holds a ton, which is good. We love it! Of course, now Jim says we need a bigger TV to "fill the space". Of course we do.
So WTI has started and for those of you who don't know what that means, be thankful. It means that Jim is a ghost. We are lucky if we see him for an hour or two in the morning and maybe an hour at night. 6 days a week! Ugh. Oh well, can't dwell on it. Feel fortunate, because with Jim working all the time, that means we are doing less and less. Which really isn't "true", it is just I am doing it without him. Sigh.
I did take the kids up the street for a Fun Run at the end of the month. At first they weren't exactly excited about it.
Their reluctance was shortlived when they discovered the race was preceded by a doughnut eating contest! How they got picked to participate out of the 50 other children that were there, I will never know but somehow they finagled their way up there. The "catch" to the doughnut-eating contest was NO HANDS! They were up to the challenge!
Suprise! Ben won!
Lilly was a close second. Of course what to do after you inhale a doughnut, you go for a mile run!
If you had asked me before the start of the race which order the three would cross the finish line, I would have said Lucy then Lilly and then Ben. Well, I would have been wrong. Ben took off and never looked back! He tied for 1st!
The girls took a more leisurely pace and somehow Lilly got diverted and actually ran longer then a mile. Oops! Boy was she unhappy.
Yes, it was a pretty uneventful month for the Wellons crowd. Even my editor commented about that he almost fell asleep reading it. So to all the people that have asked in the past if we ever just do "nothing" - YES!
If you had asked me before the start of the race which order the three would cross the finish line, I would have said Lucy then Lilly and then Ben. Well, I would have been wrong. Ben took off and never looked back! He tied for 1st!
The girls took a more leisurely pace and somehow Lilly got diverted and actually ran longer then a mile. Oops! Boy was she unhappy.
Now that we have our beautiful new "focal" point in the living room, these bookcases are going to get a makeover and be put to use in the kid's room. The poor inadequate ones currently in their rooms are in dire need of replacing. Stand by!






















No comments:
Post a Comment