Sunday, May 1, 2016

The month that I turn a year older


March starts us out with Ben acolyting (is that a word?) for the very first time! The children were recently asked if they wanted to become acolytes at our new church here in Yuma.  At first Ben was reluctant, but after the thirty minute (yes, you read that right - only thirty minutes) training session he was all in.  I tried to explain to the children that when I was being trained it took weeks and weeks of lessons and even then we were constantly in fear of being yanked and replaced and having the shame of Aunt Mary's disappointment hanging over you for the rest of your life.  As luck would have it, Ben drew the first slot. Unfortunately I had a soccer game at the same time so I was unable to witness the event, but Jim assures me Ben did a wonderful job!



The next fun event was a "color run" we did with some of our Yuma friends.  We had to blow off soccer in order to participate, but I figured if we were going to not play soccer, running a 5K and getting coated with rainbow-colored chalk was the next best thing!



Our 5K personal records continue to drop!  I am hoping we can continue to do this until all the kids can run one without stopping!

How does an eight-year-old break an unbreakable kayak paddle?  Apparently pretty easily.  I don't even think he broke a sweat.  Hmmm, looks like someone has some explaining to do.  Daddy is not going to be pleased?


I am unhappy to report that our Leprechaun found us again this year.  I am not sure what it will take for him to take a hint and stop destroying rooms and throwing confetti all over the room.  I will take the treats though, they are tasty.



It is awards day again!  Ben racked up some certificates as well as coupons for food I will never buy and restaurants I will never enter. Although he got awards in both in English and Math, he missed getting straight A's by two points.  UGH!!  


Lucy, on the other hand, killed it this quarter.  She has straight A's.  She is such a smarty pants!


Lilly attends a different school and they do things of course, differently.  There was an awards ceremony, but I was not told she would be getting any, so I did not attend.  Well of course she got Honor Roll.  Really?  Sorry Lilly.

The third weekend of the month finds me in San Diego with some new friends running the Hot Chocolate 15K.  We drove over Saturday afternoon to enjoy a little "runner bonding" before the race on Sunday morning.  I was expecting hills, since the race was in downtown San Diego, but I was not really prepared for 5 miles of uphill and basically 4 down.  Totally worth it though when we were handed our post-race bowl of chocolate treats!!  



After cleaning up we had a proper brunch and then decided no one had any real desire to get back to Yuma in a timely manner, so we went shopping!  We finally got back home around 9:30.  We had an awesome time!!  Can't wait to find our next race.

Of course I missed a few things while I was in San Diego, but the big thing was Lilly's turn at acolyting.  DRAT!! So far I am zero for two.  Lucy's turn is next month.  Hopefully I will make it.  



How in world did we get to Easter already? Granted it is in March this year, but still.  Seems like this month flew by.  We turned a corner last year with the kids keeping the eggs in the dye longer then 4 seconds.  In fact this year, they did such a good job waiting that they totally forgot about the eggs and I had to remind them to finish the job.  We don't hide the dyed eggs (the Easter Bunny has kindly switched to plastic) but still it is a Wellons family tradition to make egg salad so the kids are still excited about it.




I was able to convince the family that going to the sunrise service was the right call for Easter.  It was tough but worth it.  After church we had breakfast and the rest of the day was ours to PLAY!  And play we did!  We were invited to a block party over on base where the kids participated in another egg hunt and then proceeded to have a water fight and then finally to konk confetti eggs over each other in a wild, mad melee! 






Easter also happened to be my birthday!  I have a memory of me being rather small (so maybe sometime in the early 70's) and having my party on Easter.  I have had birthdays on Palm Sunday before, but Easter?  How often can that happen?  Well I looked it up.  Turns out the last time it happened was 2005.  So much for my childhood memory.  HA!



No comments:

Post a Comment