Jim's parents bought us a dinner way back in July for our anniversary that we were unable to schedule until now. The restaurant they picked was incredible (The Dabney). As much fun as we had together, we really think it would have been more fun if there we had gone with some other people!
One of the cool things about this place was they had toadfish on the menu! TOADFISH PEOPLE!!! Of course, some of you have no idea what toadfish are and probably don't care, but to me it is incredible. My dad started frying toadfish many years ago. These fish are essentially regarded as a trash fish in most places, but they are actually delicious. While it warms my heart to see toadfish on a menu, it also terrifies me because I don't want it to take off and become popular. I am conflicted. At any rate, we had to order it. WT's version is way, way better. This one tasted more like chicken tenders -- it was too sweet. That and they left the tails on which I am not a fan of in general. Jim and I also decided to make a night of it and booked a room in DC for the night.
To coincide with our night out, Jim's sister and husband took the kids for the night. They took them down to a screening of "Free Solo" at Union Station. While there, they also had dinner. Apparently there is a food court that has many different ethnic food choices and somehow MC & David were able to get them to try something other than chicken tenders! So kudos to them! Kids really enjoyed themselves.
The next day we all went to the Newseum. It was pretty incredible. Lots and lots of information and exhibits that the kids really enjoyed. Which is saying something because their normal reaction to ANY kind of culture is usually registered with a negative mindset.
One of the things about moving a lot: it's really hard to get a grip on kid's sports. I can't tell you the number of times we have totally missed signups or entire sport seasons because we didn't have the info in a timely manner. Ben played soccer this fall and said he wanted to play both baseball and soccer in the spring. I am not sure how I am going to get all three kids to three different soccer games AND at least one baseball game not to mention practices. Right now though, it is only preseason baseball that I have to worry about. Too bad they can't play the first couple of months at the indoor facility. It is super nice inside and most importantly, warm.
It is a well-documented fact that I am a slacker when it comes to keeping the kids hair cut. Maybe I feel that I have to counter the weekly haircuts that Jim gets by going months and months between ours. Ben's cuts are always the most drastic! That looks like a small rodent in his hand. Yuck!
Even though we seem to be getting about an inch of snow at least once a week, it isn't sticking around and the kids really want to get some skiing/boarding in so we headed up to Snowshoe, WV for an quick trip. Super quick actually! We left Friday evening and were back home by Saturday evening. It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are determined! Kids are improving if not in technical skill at least in willingness to continue to go for it! I still really want the girls to at least TRY snowboarding because I do think they would EXCEL at it!
One of the main reasons we only stayed one day was because we needed to get back to Arlington in order to prep for Ben's birthday party! Since his birthday is usually around President's Day, it is a good call to have his party on the day off from school! This year we gambled a bit by having another Nerf Gun War party. He had one two years ago and it was a huge hit! I have to admit I really like this party. It is OUTSIDE and pretty much runs itself. I only have to provide a few safety items and food. However the gamble this time is we would be throwing this party down the street at our neighborhood park, not in our backyard, and it was outside - in FEB - in VA! The whole week leading up to the party the weather oscillated between snow and rain for President's Day. Somehow we lucked up and not only was it not raining it was actually fairly warm - mid 40's. SCORE!
Everyone pitched in and we were able to make it work! Lucy helped me put the finishing touches on Ben's cake and cupcakes. I have never tried to make cupcakes in ice cream cones before, but I have got to say, it worked! All in all the boys played down at the park for several hours and came home long enough to eat, open presents and have the cupcakes/ice cream. Ben said it was his best birthday ever. Of course he says that every year, but it is better then the alternative right?
He got the best birthday present he could ever get two days later on his actual birthday - A SNOW DAY! He spent most of it down in the pit playing with the neighborhood kids. I did have him shovel the sidewalks on our streets.
Wesley has finally decided that snow isn't so bad after all. At least he no longer shakes his paw after every step. So that is something good to end the month on.










No comments:
Post a Comment