Tuesday, September 3, 2019

31 days of non-stop moving


July finds us in our typical summer location, Swansboro.  Not going to lie, I love being in Swansboro.  Makes me happy. I get to see people and places that are no longer in my day-to-day life.  I especially like to catch up with the Monclovas!  I look forward to it EVERY.YEAR.  This year, no different.  Too short as always, but better than nothing!  

Picking up right where they left off - except none of the bickering


It also isn't a July for us without seeing my hometown friend Stephanie and her family as many times as we possibly can!  As always they really know how to make a 4th of July party pop!  Ha Ha Ha!  Seriously though, it isn't 4th of July without them!



The next week finds the kids in VA getting some love from the Wellons side of the family and giving me some much needed time ALONE.  Jim is still in Beaufort, SC because why wouldn't he be, right?  It isn't like we aren't getting ready to move to the other side of the planet.  He misses being here for all this, and we really miss him too!  




All of the children usually get to celebrate their birthdays MULTIPLE times during the month they were born.  Lucy is no exception.  Her first birthday celebration was with the Wellons' while in VA.  Look at this cake!!  Aunt Sallie really outdid herself. 

The following day Nanny and I drove to Fuquay Varina to meet Sallie and pick up the kids.  I needed to get them back to Swansboro to prep for their week at camp.  However, there were a few things we needed to do before dropping them off.  
Birthday balloon wake up for Lucy!  
Last year we had a rainout on our Water Boggan experience so we got free passes.  Somehow I was able to keep up with them and so we thought why not use them this summer!  Stephanie, Fa and Mary Hardy met us because it is always better with more people right?  This tradition seems to be on the way out, sadly.  I always enjoyed this part of the summer.  The kids were busy sliding and playing and I could have adult conversations without interruptions - really it is the perfect combination.  





To put a cap on an otherwise perfect day, we took Lucy to dinner and then over to the dessert bar for a birthday treat!  Even the older cousins got in on the fun!  Who can say no to free dessert?  




Happy 13th Birthday Lucy!
Finally it is down to our favorite week of the year!!  Some may say the week before Christmas or perhaps the week before school starts, but no, the best week of the year by far is CAMP WEEK!!!  I had originally promised the kids they could go to camp for two weeks this year, but USMC had other plans so they only got one week.  I love that they LOVE Camp Don Lee as much as I did.  Makes me feel good.  


Waiting for the Ferry!



One of the blessings of being Gregg Casper's sister is she is still in contact with pretty much everyone.  So I get to reap the benefits of being with her.  She called the Sailing Master from when we were campers at CDL and he came over to see us while we were dropping the kids off at camp!  IT WAS AWESOME!!!!  I sincerely wish we could all go to adult camp with all our favorite people from CDL.  Wonder if we could rent camp the out for the weekend?  Hmmmm, need to look into that.
LOOK WHO WE FOUND!!!
While the kids were away at camp, I was able to get some work done without having to remember to feed them.  The marina took a beating last year from Hurricane Florence, not to mention it may be two years before I can make it home again so I took advantage of the time.  While I had nothing to do with fixing the flagpole, it made me smile nonetheless.  



Also while the kids were gone I got to spend some time with some of my favorite people!  It is never enough time mind you, but I will take every second that I get.


Jim was able to help me do CDL pickup and we got an earful of how everyone's week went.  Looks like no one is worse for wear.  It makes me happy that the kids love it as much as I do.  I am also happy that we have ensnared cousin George into it as well.  It is good for them to have shared experiences!


Couldn't pass up the opportunity to stand in a sunflower field!
Got to see Ferry Captain David 2 years in a row!!!
It isn't a trip to Swansboro without celebrating Lucy's birthday at Mac Daddy's.  Yes, Lucy's birthday had already been celebrated - multiple times - but there is no avoiding this tradition.  Lucy wanted her daddy to be able to attend this year, so we postponed it until after camp.  We started out at the go karts.  Ben was able to fend off everyone this year for the win!  As you can see in this picture, it wasn't even close.




When Daddy is in town, things go a little smoother for me.  It is nice to have another person to help with the kids.  He always has a few tricks up his sleeve and this year was no different.  

Obligatory breakfast at Yana's
New one this year - rock climbing at the gym on base
Another new one (and possibly the favorite) - Jet Skiing!
Besides being -3 days to our next move, we also had a very important event happening - Jim's frocking to Brigadier General.  There is a nicely worded explanation of what frocking means, but essentially it is when the Marine is able to wear the next rank before he officially gets promoted.  Jim's next job requires him to be a BG but his official promotion date hasn't happened yet.  

Even still, it was a big deal and a special day.  It was kind of last minute but we were able to pull it off.  Jim's parents, my parents and a few family members and nearby friends were able to join us onboard Camp Lejeune for the ceremony.







Afterwards we hit up downtown for one last night out before departing for our drive to Washington State!





It always seems like when we we first get to Swansboro I have the whole summer in front of me.  Little do I realize that every day that passes takes me closer and closer to driving out of the driveway for the last time.  Some things are almost always the same.  Like us pulling a U-Haul across the country.  That NEVER changes!!

After going through SEVERAL different revisions our gameplan for getting from NC to WA, we decided what made the most sense was to leave Jim's car in Swansboro and drive mine to WA and then store it there while we are in Japan.  While pulling a U-Haul isn't ideal it was the only way to get all of our bags and the dog to Washington so we will make the most of it.  




Wesley isn't so sure about this trip
One good thing about having just driven west to east last summer is that we don't really need to stop anywhere to see the sights.  Ha Ha.  Well that isn't quite true, but we didn't have any time to spare.  We did decide to drive through North Dakota instead of South Dakota this time.  So that was different.



We also gave ourselves a couple of days before leaving the country to get some important last minute items completely nailed down - storing the car, firming up what we were taking and getting Wesley's medical forms completed.  One thing we didn't have to think about was where we were staying.  One of Jim's best USNA buddies lives in Seabeck, WA and insisted we crash at their house.  This was a GOD SEND!!  I hope to be able to repay the favor one day to Jeff, Shannon, Molly & Sally.  They had taken care of everything.  It was the perfect solution to our stress.  The kids all got along and had plenty of time to explore their little part of the state.  



We even linked up with one of Lilly's friends from Arlington who had moved to Washington over the summer!  Morgan's family was just one town over!  So it was super cool for them to be able to have one last hurrah!  


Dungeness crab - hmmmm good






Seriously, this is the most relaxed I have ever been before a move

There is a better picture, but if you look closer you can see Ben photo bombing in between Jim's arm and his side.  That alone makes it blog worthy!
A few days with the Corders to recharge and we are ready for this next adventure!  Our last day in the US of A was spent running around Pikes Place Market, checking out Seattle Locks/fish ladders and of course trying to get a great photo of the Space Needle.  



Tomorrow is going to be a LLLOOONNNGGG day!

No comments:

Post a Comment