Historically my favorite month has always been March. Followed closely by October. March, because of my birthday (obviously 😜) but also because March is when winter truly lets go and spring is knocking on the door. October because you can still wear shorts with long sleeves or a sweatshirt - heaven. However, since getting married and beginning the never-ending move-cycle that I seem to be caught in, June means I get to go to Swansboro. Of course there are Junes that I have missed going home, but not many. This year I have been looking forward to our annual trek with even more anticipation since we haven't been able to leave Japan for a year. But before I get ahead of myself, let me catch you up on the latest in Nippon.
Jim's family has a few active fantasy sports leagues they've been running for years. I do not actively participate in any of them (with the exception of the March Madness Brackets but that technically isn't a league). At any rate, the Fighting Toads (as our team is called) have come close to victory a few times - always the bridesmaid - but the Champions trophy has ultimately gone elsewhere until TODAY! Well, actually the Toads won way back in December but the trophy finally made its way to Japan! It was a great evening of celebration to be sure! Hopefully the Toads can become the BSL's first back-to-back winner of the trophy, since mailing this thing back to the States will be tricky. I think I will invest in a special box so that it can be safely transported to the next winners.
![]() |
| All hail the conquering heroes |
The big news of the month is that it's finally time to head back to the states for a month! I am super excited - even though it means we will be away from Jim for a few weeks - I can't wait to get on that plane! Jim was very sorry to see us go and we will really miss him ... See you in two weeks!
We opted to take the early shuttle to the airport since we weren't sure how long it would take to get checked in and through security to the gate. We probably would have been fine to take the later shuttle, but you never know how long it will take to drive to the airport. I can't imagine how the airport looks when we aren't in a global pandemic but it's basically deserted - lucky us!
A short 5 hour plane ride later, we hit the ground and immediately crashed at the airport hotel.
The next morning we picked up the rental car and met Aunt Kaki and Madeline for breakfast! Madeline is growing like a weed and she was very good during our short visit. The kids took turns with her so Kaki could enjoy her breakfast and conversation without too much of a hassle.
The next stop on our tour was Deltaville. Lindley and Coby graciously invited us to spend the night with them on the river. It was another quick visit, but we were happy to be there. Jim's parents also made the trip so we got a bit more family time with them as well. It was so special to see everyone after a year (can't believe it's been a year!!). Hoping we'll see them again later this summer.
We took our time the next morning getting out the door with almost all of our belongings - I am looking at you Ben. After a year of driving super slow and on the wrong/left side of the road I wasn't super excited to get on the interstate, so I wasn't at all sad when google maps took us to Swansboro via back roads.
![]() |
| A sight for sore eyes! |
Ben immediately signed up to get his NC Boating license and after a short 4 hour course, he was ready to put his new skills to the test. His first experience piloting a boat is a world of difference away from mine. WT made me row (yes you read that correctly - ROW) my wooden skiff across the river under a certain time limit before he would buy a motor for it. Took me all summer to achieve it. Then he purchased a 6hp Mercury. Gregg went faster than me in her Sunfish most of the time! Well at least on windy days.
The kids are eager to make some money this summer. So I barely have to even wake them up in the mornings to get them to go down and work the docks. I don't know if they will do as well as last summer, but anything is better than nothing.
Mom and Dad have always fed the raccoons, possums & foxes that live in the woods behind their house. So another great summer tradition is watching the critters come up each night and dine on whatever leftovers we have from the night before. It is not uncommon for the animals to creep up on the front porch to subtly remind us it is time for dinner when we are running late. This year is no exception.
The first Saturday I woke the girls up early and we headed down to Wilmington for them to participate in the UNCW Women's ID soccer camp. I had not been on the campus in a few years and it was surreal to drive around and see all the changes. It has really GROWN! The girls had a great time participating in the camp, but their main complaint was the heat. It was sooo hot! My main goal was to see how the girls compared to other players with a much more consistent soccer background. Of course there were better players on the field but all in all they really held their own. Hopefully they will take away some valuable lessons and a newfound love of the game. Afterwards we headed over to the mall to purchase a few sports items that are easier to get in the states then in Japan as well as to hit up the Chick-fil-a for lunch!

Ben wasn't getting out of having a sports camp experience of his own. I was disappointed that Swansboro High School had not been able to have Sports camps again this summer, but luckily Croatan High School had a few that were still happening. Ben had recently begun to play basketball with his friends back in Yokota, so it seemed like a good idea to sign him up for a mini camp while in Swansboro. He did well, despite what he would say if you asked him. One of the funniest moments came at the end of the camp when I introduced myself to Coach "Country Strong" Sutton who competed last summer on the Titan Games. Normally I wouldn't ever do such a thing, but I just couldn't help myself. Right after we arrived to Yokota last summer, Jim's first aide was also a contestant on the Titan Games - Noah Palicia. I thought it would be fun to send Noah a picture of Ben and Coach Sutton and thankfully he agreed. I took the pictures and before I could send it to Noah, Coach Sutton had already done it! It truly is a small world!
I need to head over to the Junkyard to see about replacing a broken door latch on Jim's car. Given Ben's increasing interest in all things automotive, I thought he might get a real kick out of it. We hadn't been there a few minutes before he was off exploring and came back all excited about the "project" car ideas he had found. I told him he would need to come back with his daddy and possibly Popa to really look around.Ben also got to head down to Hampstead one afternoon with some friends and check out the skate barn. He hasn't spent as much time on his board as he has wanted to this summer, so it was nice that he was able to catch a ride down there. He said he had a great time and the videos below second that!
Since I am not with Jim for the majority of the month, I can only share the small tidbits he shared with us via text and the few conversations we had. The 14+ hour time difference makes it hard to have real chats because it seems that someone is always either getting into bed or out of it 😳. But here are a few that are worth mentioning.
Before we left, I planted a small garden and set up a watering system that involves a timer, a kiddie pool and moving all of our outside plants to the garden. I figured several probably wouldn't survive but was hopeful that at least some would. Apparently the cucumber plant really liked the set up! Jim finally remembered to check on it and found the MOA (mother of all) cukes!! Of course it is too big to be tasty, but it made for some funny pictures nonetheless!

![]() |
| Every.single.time |





























No comments:
Post a Comment