After all the moves we have done, you would think getting settled would be second nature by now. Not the case. No matter how many times we move, there is always a learning curve. First order of business is to get as many boxes out of the house as possible. It oddly frees up the space and makes you feel like you are "home" faster. We have moved onto the second stage of hanging pictures and deciding how to fill the cabinets in the kitchen/pantry. And deciding if we really need all the clothes that we moved (hint - we never do).
Of course Jim immediately set up the tower garden. This is our first crop of lettuce and cilantro. We are also trying out a tomato plant. I also found some random seeds that are either cucumber or squash, I guess we will find out which it is later. Not sure how that is going to work in the tower since there won't be anything to support a vine-type plant but will update as we progress.

Ben jumped into football practice as soon as he landed from Texas. He is pretty excited to get going and they will have a scrimmage later on in the month before kicking off the season! Go Falcons!!

But it isn't all work. Jim and I got to hang out with some of our close friends from USNA while they were in town for the weekend! I have a feeling we will be spending quite a bit of our time exploring the different areas of San Diego and all the restaurants and bars - can't wait!

We also got to meet some more of Jim's USNA classmates at the Padres game on Sunday. Jim was going to be throwing out the opening pitch and everyone wanted to see that! Sadly the girls missed out seeing Jim's pitch live, but we got a video of it and that will have to do. Happy that Ben joined us for the fun.



Lucy did arrive back in town in time to attend the Foo Fighters concert a few days later however. Originally we were going to send the kids to the show and then Lilly decided to stay in NC longer and Ben had football practice, so it was just going to be the three of us. At the last minute, Jim had to bail too. So Lucy and I had to enjoy the concert for everyone else. Foo Fighters did not disappoint! I saw them when they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers back in 2000. It was just as good as a show now as it was then! Made even more special to enjoy it with Lucy.



We also had another family fun night with the Jessens! This may be the last time we see their two oldest since they are both attending college on the east coast. Again, we missed having Lilly with us. She is still helping Nanny and Popa as well as hostessing for a few more weeks.

Wesley's birthday was next on the calendar. He is now 9! Seems like just yesterday I got played by my entire family and convinced to get this dog. Of course I don't regret it for a second! He is a great dog. We found a lump on his butt at the beginning of the month and had it biopsied - sadly the news isn't great. He will have it removed later this month. So on this birthday we took him to the beach and let him have all the treats! Happy Birthday Wesley!! Hopefully you will be with us for years to come.

The next day I hopped on a plane and headed to NC! I left Lucy and Ben in charge since Jim was also going to be gone for a few days. Hopefully one of them will be able to get up to an alarm and get Ben to school on time 😳! Lucy was able to get her driver's license while she was in NC earlier so I feel a bit better about leaving them to fend for themselves - ha ha ha.
It was wonderful to be home and help out the family and get some projects done for mom as well as to collect Lilly. I feel like I haven't really gotten a chance to spend any time with her this summer. We went out in the boat a few times, found some shark teeth, saw some dolphins. You know, the usual. The week flew by and before I was ready to leave it was time to get back on the plane and head west. Already making plans to come back!


While I was gone, Jim and the kids had a pretty good time exploring more of San Diego. Lucy took full advantage of having a car at her disposal. Lots of trips to the beach and hiking and linking up with her soon-to-be roommate who lives about 20 minutes away.

The Scripps Ranch Falcons are on a roll! Jim has been able to make it to all the games thus far. Ben is increasing his playing time and has secured a starting position on both defense and special teams. We are hopeful he will start getting the ball more on the offensive side as well!

As I mentioned earlier, Wesley had a large lump on his butt. The test results came back and it is cancerous, so we needed to have it removed ASAP! I scheduled the surgery to occur on the day Lilly and I returned from NC in case there were complications then I would be home to take care of him. Other than having to wear the dreaded cone of shame for 2 weeks and a day of recovering from the anesthesia, Wes has shown no side effects - hooray! He isn't out of the woods yet though. We have a consultation with an Oncology Vet next month and hopefully they can recommend a course of action that will keep him around in good shape for a while to come.

As we close out the month of August, wanted to give you an update on the tower garden otherwise known as Jim's babies. The lettuce and basil are extremely happy and it appears the tomato plant is also feeling pretty good. TBD on the cucumber/squash seedlings. They are holding their own but it is too early to tell.

No comments:
Post a Comment