The last post ended with some big news - Lilly had a loose tooth! That was on a Wednesday. She was sure that it was going to fall out of her mouth before we got home from the Post Office. After she let me wiggle it, I told her not to plan on the Tooth Fairy visiting for a least a week. Finally on Sunday she let me wiggle it again. I told her she could continue to play with it and STILL have to wait a few more days before the Tooth Fairy would visit OR she could let me yank it. You would have thought I told her I was going to remove her arm! Ran around crying and carrying on. I mean, please! It isn't like it will hurt, that tooth is holding on by threads - dead nerves equals no pain. Try explaining that to a 5.5yr old. So I tell her to let me look again. This time I had a paper towel in my hand and I grabbed it. I asked her if I could twist it just once. She said yes and by that time I already had the tooth in the paper towel. It took her a second to realize that the tooth was gone.
Then she immediately launched into her Tooth Fairy arrival mode. Her first comment was "I hope she brings me perfume!" Perfume? Doesn't she know that the Tooth Fairy strictly deals in cash? I guess it is my fault for being vague about what exactly she exchanges the teeth for. I apparently need to get better educated on my Tooth Fairy lore because I had no answers for all her questions. Hopefully we will have some time before the next tooth to be better prepared. I will tell you she was super excited about the note the Tooth Fairy left and the fact that her face was COVERED in glitter. Not so much with the Presidential Dollar coin. She was bummed it wasn't perfume. I reminded her that the Tooth Fairy didn't take request and she should put that on her Christmas list. Lucy is still very unhappy that all her teeth are still not wiggling. I don't know if the rate of speed that you got your baby teeth is any indicator as to how fast you will lose them, but if it is, Lucy will be sporting a full set of baby teeth for a long time to come. At a year old she still only had three teeth. Ben too was super slow in the teeth production. I hope neither have the shark mouth phenomenon of having the permanent teeth come in behind the baby teeth. Yikes!!
A few posts back I mentioned that our cat Daisy was upsetting our neighbors by staking out their yard and laying waste to the wild bird population. I was sympathetic and provided them with a high powered water gun to blast her with when she was over there. I was hoping that a few hits from that would be enough to keep her on our side of the fence. Apparently not. I don't know if they ever even used it on her but I was given some lame answer about how Daisy would leave the back yard whenever they went outside to blast her. Well isn't that what you want? I was confused. I wanted to say get another dog since Daisy didn't ever go in your yard when you had one, but they had a point - she was in their yard not the other way around. Again, this cat has no front claws and was wearing not one but TWO loud bells AND a metal id tag AND a metal daisy charm on her collar. It isn't like she was quiet. What she lacked in quiet she more than made up for in speed because she was good, very very good. After the last thinly veiled threat from the neighbors, with a heavy heart we decided to send Daisy to live with my parents in Swansboro. Jim is the only one in the house that was happy. Daisy had a favorite spot to display her "trophies" and it happened to be on one of his expensive carpets - oops!
Daisy has quickly made herself right at home and doesn't seem to be missing us AT ALL!
However we miss her dearly. I especially miss her hunting skills. In the short few weeks that she has been gone this is what I have come home to:
There is also the largest skink I have ever seen now living in our garage. He would not pose for a picture - who knew something that big would be camera shy. None of this would have never had happened on Daisy's watch. When I mentioned it to Jim his only comment was we would still have seen these creatures. The difference being it would have been their bloody dismembered bodies on his prize carpet. He has a point there.
With one less cat around to "love", Oscar has been getting more than his fair share of attention. I am not sure, but I think that look says "Help". He has taken to spending even more time on my bed than usual which is pretty much full time. I guess he is going with the whole "out of sight, out of mind" tactic. And if that doesn't work for him he has a back up:
I think this is called camouflage. Good try Oscar, but I don't think you are fooling anyone!





No comments:
Post a Comment