Thursday, April 8, 2010

And so we're back from outer space

Yes I know that isn't exactly the lyric in Gloria Gaynor's I will Survive, so sue me!
We did survive last week but at times it wasn't pretty. I had given up drinking during the week (Sunday - Thursday) for Lent, so I was very glad to hear that TECHNICALLY Holy Week signals the end of Lent. Of course I did no research to see if that was in fact the case or not, took it at face value as I was reaching for my wine glass. I don't know if a glass of wine has ever tasted so good. Someone was looking out for me and everyone surrounding me because if I had to tackle the events of last week without alcohol...
For those of you just tuning in, not only was it spring break for the girls, but also it was the Re-Activation and Re-Designation Ceremonies for Jim's Squadron VMFAT 501. He is the Commanding Officer of the Marine Corps first F-35B squadron. Which is a pretty big deal, even I, who knows very little about these sort of things (by design), was impressed and overwhelmed. Jim's parents came in town for the week to help us with the children and to prepare for the celebration after the ceremony on Friday night. My mom, two of Jim's sisters and his brother in addition to many other family and friends (about 100 or so) also joined in the fun. Several General Officers retired and active duty were in attendance as well. So we all had to be on our best behavior! YIKES!! Jim said the most intense moments were courtesy of me. We left Niceville at noon on Thursday to drive to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. We had to be there by two and it is only 49 miles so we thought we would have PLENTY of time - WRONG!!! The GPS had a difference of opinion with the printed directions (imagine that) and we also ran into road delays. So after several tense phone calls and a couple of wrong turns we arrive with 7 minutes to spare!! Jim had one of the wives outside to park the car AND one of his guys to escort us to our seats. He wasn't taking any chances!! After that everything went off without a hitch. I met so many USMC and Air Force Generals and their wives I could not keep them straight. It felt like our wedding reception all over again - didn't get to eat or visit with anyone that had come to share in Jim's special day.
The kids did a fantastic job! Of course we could have never gotten through it without the help of our family and especially our baby sitter Laura. I hate to think of how any of the events would have gone if she had not been with us to take care of the children but it wouldn't have been good that is for sure! On a happier note - in one of Jim's speeches he made the comment that he "promised to get me back to Swansboro someday." There were lots of witnesses and I for one intend to hold him to it!

But that is all over and the real fun begins. Now if they can only get some jets to fly ...

School resumed this week - THANK GOD!! I was so fortunate to have help last week in the form of Jim's parents and my mom that the week didn't seem to crawl like it could have. I am dreading June 11th - the first day of summer with no activities planned. Hmmm is it too late to sign them up for summer days at school? Note to self - look into that ASAP!

In the midst of all this celebrating and family the Easter Bunny showed up! Still not really sure who let him in, but Lucy said he came in on silent furry feet. Don't really know what she meant, but it sounded good.




The last of our company (Nanny) left on Sunday morning too. But not before a visit from the Easter Bunny, an egg hunt, pancake breakfast AND 8:15 church. We like to "over schedule" (which is just a polite way of say CRAM). Poor Nanny, I am sure she was excited to get on the plane back to the relative peace and quiet of Swansboro. Our day wasn't over by a long shot. Jim wanted to go to the Red Bar for Brunch with a college buddy and his family and then a day at the beach was in order.


Thank god he is leaving for 3 days this week! I for one am TIRED! I need to get these kids back on their schedule they are killing me!!


Tuesday was the first day of swimming lessons for the girls. They had a BALL! The swimming pool has an upstairs deck for the parents to observe without the children really seeing them. Pretty smart - no distractions. It took Lucy about 2 minutes to warm up to the idea and much less for Lilly. I believe we will have to look into some sort of swim team for next year. Ben also had his lessons start this week. His class is a "Mommy and Me" class held at the same place on Wednesday mornings. Let's just say he was not as excited! However he did make the transition pretty quickly. I was skeptical since we had gone swimming on Sunday and he could not remember a single thing from all the Infant Swimming Resource class we had taken in Tampa. In fact after I MADE him float on his back and took him back to the steps, he ran to his daddy and would have nothing to do with me the rest of the time we were at the pool. But I digress. The first 15 minutes of the lesson he was whiny but once we got into the kicking and the splashing and jumping off of the side he decided it wasn't so bad after all. I am interested to see how he does next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment